As a result of a decision in 2017 made by Hockey Canada to restructure its Novice Program in an effort to promote skill based play and ensure longevity of the game (Hockey Canada, 2019), the CGHA has been working hard at aligning our program to support this mandate. It is important to note that all Canadian hockey players at every level, (including all genders), will play under the same framework.
We are pleased to announce our newly-revamped 2019-2020 developmental focused program. The structure is as follows:
• 22 hockey players will be selected.
• Open to 2011 and 2012 born players* (preference given to 2011 born players)
• 2 phase system approach
o Phase1: Half ice - Developmental focus (Hockey Canada Curriculum): September to January
o Phase 2: Transition to full ice beginning January 15, 2020
• Regardless of ability, players of the age of 8 years or younger may not play for any Atom teams.
• 2011 born players may become an affiliated player (AP) for an Atom team, but not until the commencement of phase 2 (January 15, 2020)
*As per the Hockey Canada Novice Program mandate, 2012 born selected players will be required to repeat the entire novice program again the following season.
Novice Rep Developmental Program:
As there has not been a final decision made by the OWHA with respect to the approval of a Novice Rep program after January 15, 2020, the CGHA has taken steps to move forward with a Novice Rep Development program.
• Selection of 22 hockey players
• Preference given to 2011 born players
• Players allotted an additional of 2 ice times per week starting in September 2019.
• Selection skates to take place in April 2019, please see website for dates.
Please be aware that this restructuring continues to be a work in progress for both the OWHA and CGHA. More information will be posted as it becomes available. For more specific information, please contact Wade Simpson or Cyndy Bonello. Or follow the link for Hockey Canada Novice Program information. https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/hockey-programs/coaching/novice
Note: Provided there is sufficient interest, the CGHA will also continue to provide a Novice DS program. We will update our website as more details are available.